Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Food As Fuel





My family is all about food. We plan vacations around restaurants we want to try, and usually greet visitors with "What would you like to eat?" instead of "How are you?". So for me to view food as something other than the center of my existence is quite different.

My favourite aspect of exercise is that it forces me to view food as fuel. When I exercise, I find I need to fuel my body well and thus, naturally make better food choices. Instead of a McChicken at the drive-thru, I find myself wanting a substantial sandwich with high quality proteins and vegetables.

"Diet" is somewhat of a dirty word to me, so it's not used in my household. And major overhauls to your food intake shouldn't be made overnight, unless under the supervision of a doctor or nutritionist. Instead, make small changes you can live with for the rest of your life eg this week, instead of regular pasta, I'm going to try kamut pasta, or this week, I am going to replace white bread with sprouted bread with nuts and seeds.

Whatever your change for this week, happy eating!

Fi

No comments:

Post a Comment